Old September 2nd 04, 09:14 PM
Stephen H. Westin

Dallas writes:

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 13:52:18 -0400, Stephen H. Westin wrote:

Dallas writes:

I see one on KEH for a grand. Looks like a stunner, but is that price
worth it? Are there any alternatives?

See Ken Rockwell's review at http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/1535.htm.
Brief synopsis:
o it's probably wider than you need or want
o it's very susceptible to flare
o sharpness isn't bad.

He also suggests several alternatives, ranging from Tokina to the
Nikkor 14mm f/2.8 AF.

Thanks Stephen.

I will investigate the 14mm f/2.8 but I am looking for a rectilinear ultra
wide angle. Isn't the 14mm a fisheye?

Nope, that would be the AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D. See
http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/lens/af/wideangle/af_14mmf_28d/.
Rackwell claims very little distortion in the 14mm AF lens, and even
less in the 15mm AI-s.

BTW, I take everything Ken Rockwell says with a big bag of salt. Moreover,
I don't even visit his site anymore since he started filling it with
banners and other pop-up **** that lead to porno site and spyware loaders.

Yeah, I meant to warn others that they were heading into pop-up heaven.

--
-Stephen H. Westin