Old January 26th 04, 10:34 PM
Dan Quinn

Default nose/eye fume irritation and cheap ventilation

wrote

Dan Quinn wrote:

The ratio for F-5 would be 1:7 or 1:15 two-bath; a 60% concentrate vs
a 15% working strength. A fluid volumn of 250ml at one or the other of
those ratios and fixers will fix one 8x10. I'm quite sure of that but
do have more testing to do. Dan

jan2604 from Lloyd Erlick,

Do you actually use F5, Dan?

I don't use F5. The above info is in response to Mr. Phillips post.
I'm too much a minimalist to mix that. Because of my one-shot usage
of all chemistry I feel free to use the very least complex of
chemistries.
I've put the very plain sodium thiosulfate on the shelf. Bottled and
dry it will likely, if still on the shelf, be in good shape years from now.
I won't last that long. I've some hypo-alum, nelson gold toner, and
another place or two where it can be used. It could once again be
my fix of choice.
The 60% ammonium thiosulfate is used diluted. Nothing is added. I will
though be adding an alkali and compare results. Dan

NO PRESERVATIVES ADDED

Why not F6 instead? F5 is more of a historical footnote, since F6 is
so similar but minus the strong odor. Attack odor, I'd call it. F5 is
a mucous membrane shredder, in my opinion. F5 would make me buy a
digital camera.

For me, the whole discussion of the various fixers quickly devolved to
sodium thiosulfate, sodium sulfite and water. F5 stinks, F6 is a great
alternative, but it does not need (I don't need, my materials don't
need...) hardener, so also doesn't need acid, etc, etc, so finally I
couldn't see why I would make up a fixer with any other components,
especially since I'm definitely a low-volume processor! High capacity
fixers like rapid-fixers are wasted on me, I never come close to using
them up. I'd rather have a low capacity fixer and replace it
frequently.

I suppose it could be said I went through a similar thought process
over FB print developer. Eventually I settled on what amounts to the
D23 of printing: the old Ansco 120 formula. I now just weigh out the
amount of dry ingredients necessary for a working solution of the
requisite volume for my purposes. It dissolves in seconds, and I no
longer store bottles of liquids I've prepared (Xtol, however, still
sits in those bottles ...). I like the way my paper works without
hardener. The selenium toner step goes better that way.
Lloyd Erlick Portraits,
2219 Gerrard Street East, unit #1,
Toronto M4E 2C8 Canada.
---