Old September 27th 03, 03:22 PM
NJH

Default Is photography art?

"William Graham" wrote in message
. net...

NJH wrote in message

"William Graham" wrote in message
news:FRNcb.586236$uu5.95963@sccrnsc04...

NJH wrote in message
There are a lot of people who think good art can be obtained

through
originality.....Unfortunately, it takes more than originality to

be
good....I would rather look at something beautiful that I've seen

many
times
before, than look at something that is ugly, simply because I

haven't
seen
it before. This weird, "taste" of mine manifests itself in the

modern
music.....I think most of it is gastly....I would much rather hear

symphony or opera that I've heard many times before than to sit

through
some
of the catcalls that pass as modern music......

Hear, hear!

And that's even without getting into so-called "rap music" (now

there's
an
oxymoron if I ever heard one).

Neil

Yes, but I am fond of annoying my musical friends by saying that music
includes 4 things......Beat, Words, Harmony, and Melody...And rap has

three
of them: Beat, words and melody, But modern jazz only has two: Beat,

and
harmony....So which is more like music? (I am obviously not a lover of
modern jazz....)

Heh. That's pretty interesting.

I only occasionally like jazz (and not for very long at that), and rap I
can't stand at all. I'm not sure I know what you mean by "modern

jazz"--I
don't really know anything about music in a technical sense, and don't

know
whether whatever jazz I occasionally get while roaming the FM dial is

modern
or not.

But I have to quarrel with your "4 things" rule--most of the music I

listen
to is classical and contains no words. Surely that's music anyway? :-)

Neil

Yes....That's true....There is opera....But the words in opera are
definitely not a part of the musical experience....If anything, they
detract, which is why we love operas in another language.......

I was really thinking of music which has no words at all. Chopin, Beethoven,
Rimsky-Korsakov, those sorts of things.

Words are,
however, an important part of popular music, and some popular songs are

very
beautiful. (to me, at least)

Sure, I agree. Though I am inclined to prefer songs which I suppose would be
called "once popular" rather than popular, especially songs of the 1930s and
thereabouts.

Neil