Old June 9th 21, 02:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Yes, everything is about the "cloud." Then comes the horror

In article ,
Magani wrote:

I've said it before, but it might be worth repeating.
'The Cloud' is merely someone else's computer (however massive that might
be).

exactly why it's so useful.
I prefer to be in charge of my data, thank you (YMMV).

you can't do anywhere near as good of a job as they can. it's not even
remotely close.

I would hope that my 25 years in IT would count for something. Please note I
said 'my data', and that others' experiences may be different. I suspect
that you have a different reason to use the cloud, and that's fine, but my
use case suits me just fine, and it comes more than 'remotely close' to doing
what I want it to do.

your 25 years in it should have taught you about the risks of data
loss. it clearly has not.

one match and you'll be singing a very different tune.

what you call 'someone else's computer' is actually multiple redundant
data centers run by people whose job is to guarantee data integrity and
reliability.

many of the cloud services offer 11 9s of redundancy, something you
cannot possibly come close without a *lot* of time and money.

amazon, for example, has data centers scattered across the planet. it
would take the total destruction of earth to lose data in all of them,
at which point it no longer matters.