Old February 8th 04, 03:42 AM
Tom Gardner

Default New darkroom, first batch of many questions.

I am moving to bigger digs and get the chance to make a lot of improvements
in my setup that will undoubtedly cause me to create perfect negatives and
prints to be admired and loved for centuries...or eliminate some of the
challenges that I have.

1. Dust is going to be a problem, is one of these ionic air filter things
worth it? Can it cause some unforeseen problems? I will seal off the room
well and ventilate well with a hood over the sink but that will create some
negative pressure that I fear will suck dust in from everywhere.

2. Drainage is going to be a problem. The best solution I see is to drill
a hole through the block wall to another room in the basement that has a
stack on that wall. I would then drill and tap for a nipple into the cast
iron stack below the trap level in the darkroom. Seems like a lot of work
and I'm not sure it's code. The rest of the plumbing should be nothing
special.

3. Electrical. Pretty straight forward here but if you were starting over,
what would you change or improve upon? Seen anything clever lately? I'm
undecided on lighting and safe-lighting, my eyes are getting old and I need
not to strain them.

4. Work-flow and ergonomics are another concern. I've got some heavy
rubber anti-fatigue mats to put over the concrete floor. I am building
work benches and sink stand into the walls but haven't decided on height.

It seems there are hundreds of darkroom books available, any highly
recommended? I'm trying to minimize the "shoulda-coulda". In prospective:
I'm moving from a big dry closet to a 12' x 18'.