Old October 20th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Robert Chin

Default Dumb question processing 4x5

I'm sorry if this has been answered before. This is a legit question so
please bear with me.

My set up is not optimum. I do not have a dedicated darkroom (for now at
least). I've done many many rolls of film over the years. I throw
everyting into a changing bag, load up a reel and no problem.

I'm getting ready to process 4x5 sheet film for the first time. It requires
a bit more space to handle the sheet film than rolls. Since I do not have a
dedicated darkroom, I can't fill the tanks with the necessary chemicals,
leave them on a tabletop, and just lift the film holder from tank to tank in
the dark.

So my question(s) is/are simple: I've heard that because the processing
tanks for 4x5 film take so long to fill, uneven development could result.
Is this a real problem, or is it the opinion of someone really obsessive?
Would I be better off making a light tight space to do this?

Advice welcome from all.

Thanks.