Old June 22nd 12, 01:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Default Nikon scanner - compatibility on new computer

Robert Coe wrote,on my timestamp of 22/06/2012 11:35 AM:

: I have a Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED. I've been using it on a Win XP PC.
: I will be getting a Win 7 with 64 bit processing. Will the scanner work?

Probably. But if it doesn't, you can install a virtual XP machine on your
Windows 7 computer. It's free, and the Microsoft Web site explains all. It's a
tedious process, but not especially difficult if you know a lot about Windows
and are good at reading between the lines. You'll want to do it anyway, if
you've been doing your backups with the standard Windows backup program.
Windows 7 won't read your backup files.

Or alternatively just install Virtualbox - free - and create as many XP VMs as
you need to run older software. Very simple software to use, indeed.

Or use vuescan: it works well and doesn't cost much. Only problem is that it is
not as nice and smooth as Nikonscan for previews. Then again, it's a different
workflow.