Old April 30th 14, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Default Picture quality...

In article ,
nospam wrote:

In article , android
wrote:

Fixed lenses are almost always better bang for the buck if image
quality
is your sole concern. If that's the case then I would consider an used
Richo GR* or Sigma DP* if I were you. YMMV... I have an Ixus 70 as
ultra
compact the small sensor gives it a low keeper rate. I only use it at
the wide end and shoot raw with the CHDK firmware addon.

don't even consider sigma cameras. they're junk.

Their sensors are half frame and the technology is interesting.

interesting yes, but that's about it.

the problem is that the technology doesn't actually work particularly
well (nor will it ever due to physics) and that sigma lies about it.

We're
talking the compacts here. Are you sure?

very sure, and their slr has the same sensor as the compacts, with the
same problems (plus the ones brought on by a not particularly well
designed slr body).

They seem by look and
measurement to be built on the chassis as some other brand compacts like
Pana LX * Richo GR* models but i can be wrong. I haven't investigated
that for a few years.

the camera body is sigma's own design, but that isn't what matters.

Oki...

the sensor is downright awful, with all sorts of artifacts and weird
colour casts and the cameras themselves are slow with pitiful battery
life, typically 70 photos per charge.

I haven't done any extensive testing with available files...

the raw format is proprietary which means you're stuck with sigma's
(very) slow and crappy software. there are one or two other raw
converters that reverse engineered the format but didn't do a complete
job so the results aren't as good.

You can ding some of the DPs files and use a multitude of converters.
https://www.adobe.com/products/photo...#dngcompatible
--
teleportation kills
http://tinyurl.com/androidphotography