Old April 30th 14, 09:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Default Picture quality...

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

On 29/04/2014 23:00, A Moose in Love wrote:

I'd like to purchase a new digital camera. My Mum likes my old one, so I'm
giving it to her.

Ahh... The Good son! ;-)

My main criteria for a camera is picture quality. I
don't need a lot of gadgets. I was thinking of something Panasonic between
$250 and $500. I like that they have Leica lenses. However, I've got no
problem purchasing a camera with a fixed lens. Most Digitals have zoom
lenses, and I wonder about the picture quality. Has technology improved
enough that zoom lenses provide exceptional picture quality?
btw...My Dad purchased a Leica in Germany in the '50's. When he came to
Canada, he sold it. When I heard that I got ****ed off.

Hey! He had to make economical provisions for you. Did he make the Right
Choice? ;-p

Fixed lenses are almost always better bang for the buck if image quality
is your sole concern. If that's the case then I would consider an used
Richo GR* or Sigma DP* if I were you. YMMV... I have an Ixus 70 as ultra
compact the small sensor gives it a low keeper rate. I only use it at
the wide end and shoot raw with the CHDK firmware addon.
--
teleportation kills
http://tinyurl.com/androidphotography