Old March 13th 12, 05:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Dyer-Bennet

Default I'VE DONE SOMETHING TERRIBLE !

Chloe writes:

On 9/03/2012 3:36 AM, Annika1980 wrote:
On Mar 6, 4:00 pm, wrote:
On 5/03/2012 2:34 AM, Annika1980 wrote:

On Mar 1, 12:11 am, tony wrote:

You've formed a Tennessee Ashton Kutcher fan club. Shame!

It's worse than that. I put a Nikon 14-24 f/2.8G lens on my FAB 5D2.
I feel so dirty!

Here are a few pics I've taken with that combo in the past 3 days.
http://bretdouglas.smugmug.com/Photo...1767869_vdPZhq

It was said in Popular Photography when Canon first introduced
streamline 35mm bodies way back when A1's ruled that if you could use
Nikon glass on a Canon body, you'd have the perfect camera.

Chloe

That may have been true back in the day, but not now. The Nikon 14-24
is the only lens that bests anything that Canon offers. My advice is
to rent this lens for a few days and watch your photography improve
immediately. Then cry your eyes out as you drive to the UPS store to
send it back.

Here's the news flash mate...
I've owned one since 2009. Any Nikon shooter working full frame needs
one of these for real estate or inside event shots. The only way to
stand in a corner and get the whole room in without it looking like
you're in a fish bowl.

Wrong.

I was shooting my kitchen (which is unfortunately small) last night with
my Sigma 12-24mm full-frame on my D700. Now, first, I *do* get just a
little barrel distortion at 12mm that's visible when I carefully set up
square to a wall and there are reference lines all through the picture.

But this is easily corrected in Photoshop.

(The Nikon lens is clearly much better, but at that price it had darned
well better be. The Sigma is what I could afford, and for about $800
when I bought it I'm very pleased.)

Serious Annika. No working professional (well not unless you call
wedding photographers professionals) can do without one. Ditto that
for a 24-70 f2.8 and 70 -200 f2.8. There's a few fixed length lenses
I've got for preference with head shots but these are the essential
glass I never leave home without and Canon have no answer for.

Not a working professional, so I can't claim to be a counter-example.

But Oleg Volk doesn't have anything similar to the 14-24 (he's shooting
Canon), and Kyle Cassidy doesn't, and they both ARE working
professionals.

(I've got the 24-70 and the 70-200/2.8 from Nikon, and they're really
really nice, certainly. Both were upgrades to Tokina lenses I was
pretty happy with on film, back when.)
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info