Old June 11th 09, 02:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Default low light movie works better than low light still photos why?

Bob Larter wrote:
John Navas wrote:
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:04:41 +1000, Bob Larter
wrote in :

Brian wrote:
I have a Fujifilm S8000 camera and find it difficult to get a good
exposure when photographing in low lighting conditions such as
photographing someone on stage but if I use the movie clip mode on the
camera the exposure is good....why is that?
It's sacrificing resolution for brightness.

Is there any way of
getting a better exposure when photograping in low light conditions?
If the ISO level is too high then the photo will be grainy. I'd be
happy if I could make 6 x 4 inch prints of the low light photos
without them looking too grainy.
I do similar photography, & my solution was to buy a Canon DSLR & some
fast lenses.

Another solution, less radical and expensive, is to upgrade to a compact
camera with better low light performance. My FZ28 does a good job of
low light stage photography. http://i42.tinypic.com/2wfsqo6.jpg

That's very good for a compact camera, but only ISO 800. I routinely
shoot at ISO 1600, then push the RAW image another stop or two.

You find that better than using a higher ISO and not pushing? My
impression, without having carried out critical comparisons, is that
pushing an ISO 1600 image up a stop gives me the same noise and image
quality as unpushed ISO 3200.

--
Chris Malcolm