Old November 11th 06, 10:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
default

Default Teleconverters

"Dave" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a canon 70-300 IS USM/350d and wondering if there are any
teleconverters out there that will work with this lense just to get a
little more reach? thanks for any info.

I've used my EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM with a Tamron 1.4x and 2x however I am
not totally pleased with the results. You should put it in manual focus
mode. With the 1.4x and a bright high contrast scene, the autofocus
confirmation indicator works. The IS works pretty well with the TC as well
but it is better on a tripod.

The main problem is that the resolving power doesn't increase that much. It
does some, but not as much as you might expect and getting accurate focus
isn't easy. So it isn't good for quick snapshots with a TC. You need to
have time to carefully focus and use a remote release. I find also that I
usually am using it for things that are further away rather than smaller and
the pictures lack contrast when I use a TC. You can correct this somewhat
in photoshop, but you don't get the rich colours that you get without the
TC. The increased chromatic aberration is easy to fix and a very small
issue.

I'd say put the money in savings for a longer lens.