Old November 4th 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob M

Default Washed out signs Revisited

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 17:19:13 GMT, "jeremy" wrote:

The only way to digitize slides properly is to use a film scanner. Trying
to take a photo off of a projected image is going to result in near complete
loss of luminance and color saturation information.

Thanks to the advice from this newsgroup, I bought an Epson 4490 Photo
Scanner. It does a better job than the Projector/Camera method.

The very first slide I scanned is shown as the 2nd link below. While it did
show the signs which were missing from the camera attempt, it was a little too
dark, losing some of the fall colors in the background. I ran it thru Kodak'a
Enhancement software, and got the 3rd result.

First the Projector/Camera shot:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bob-m1...e2.jpg&.src=ph

The Raw output of the Epson Scanner. Only "ICE" was checked off.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bob-m1...e2.jpg&.src=ph

After running it through Kodak's "Enhance"
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bob-m1...e2.jpg&.src=ph

It isn't quite right yet. If you look at this part, cut from the scanned
image, there is something wrong just to the left of the sign. At the edge
between the bright white and the darkness of inside the bridge, there is some
kind of distortion. How do I get rid of that?

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bob-m1...e2.jpg&.src=ph

Remove "not" for return address.