Old November 4th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default digital camera battery use

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 08:54:13 -0800, "
wrote:

I am shopping for a new digital camera that would cost under $150.
My question, is the battery usage of all digital camera the same, or
do some cameras need battery replacement less frequently than others?

best, Aaron

Generally speaking replacing batteries in a digital camera is not
done.

Digital cameras either use a rechargeable proprietary Lithium ion
battery or use NIMH AA rechargeable. With the introduction of
low self discharge NIMH batteries such as the Sanyo Eneloop or
the Hybrid types I would lean toward these over the Lithium ions..
Lithium ion batteries work great but they are proprietary and start
to slowly degrade from the time of their manufacturing. They'll do
this even if they aren't used. After about five years a Lithium ion
loses much of it's capacity.

As far as non rechargeable go....many Digital cameras now days can
use alkaline AA's, refer to the manual. Some can also use the non
rechargeable Lithium AA's, refer to the manual. Why bother with these
when you have a rechargeable choice.