Old October 14th 06, 08:50 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Shakti V. via PhotoKB.com

Default Agfa 120 brownton print developer; which time to follow?

Here is the formula I used:

STOCK SOLUTION

Water (125°F/52°C) 750 ml
Sodium sulfite 60 g
Hydroquinone 24 g
Potassium carbonate 80 g
Water to make 1000 ml

Here is the exposure and dilution details

Tone Desired Exposure Time Dilution Time at 68°F/20°C
Warm-black Normal 1:5 4-5
minutes
Brown-black 1½ x normal 1:4 3 minutes

~

If I use this developer, I wouldn't know the 'normal' exposure, as of course,
I would base the exposure on the developer in use at hand, which is Agfa 120
developer.

My problem is the development time. My darkroom, though airconditioned,
can't keep the developer at 20 deg C. It always rises to 25 deg C. Have you
used Agfa 120 developer at 25 deg C, or above 25 deg C? What is your
developing time?

What puzzles me is whether I should follow the developing time indicated by
the developer, or the developing time indicated by the paper. I use Forte FB,
and it is resistant to fogging. In fact, I can develop it in 30 degC.
without any problems. Here is the Forte recommended time:

20 deg C 90-120 seconds
25 deg C 60-90 seconds
30 deg C 45-60 seconds

So, which developing time should I follow?

I will experiment, but I hope to hear suggestions here also.