Old April 19th 13, 09:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

Default Steady hold for a P&S

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 15:19:10 -0400, Alan Meyer wrote:

I've got one of those very small P&S "travel zoom" cameras (Panasonic
ZS-9) with up to 16:1 optical zoom. The big challenge in getting sharp
photos with high zoom is holding the camera steady. It doesn't help
that the camera is small and light with little weight to damp
vibrations, or that it has a strap attachment point on only one side, or
that its only viewing mechanism is the LCD display on the back that must
be held a foot or more from your eyes to see the picture. And of course
being an old guy with shaky hands is probably worst of all.

I'm thinking about buying a walking stick monopod (any suggestions?) but
I also believe that good hand holding technique makes a big difference
in cutting down the vibrations.

The best thing I've come up with so far is to hold up my left hand
limply in front of my face with the palm facing me. Instead of grasping
the camera with my left hand, I rest it on the top. By not actually
holding the camera with my fingers and thumb the small muscles in
fingers and thumb are relaxed and not involved in supporting the camera.
Then I use as little pressure as I can with the right hand to press
the shutter release. The camera is secured from falling by the neck
strap, so there won't be any serious accidents this way and I've gotten
much better results than I did when I tried to hold it tight.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I use an upward pressing with the left hand and a downward
press with right hand on the shutter, seem to have very little
camera shake this way.

Does anyone particularly recommend a monopod that can double as a
walking stick and fold for airline travel?

I think some hiking sticks are made like that, the secret to using a
monopod is to use it as a third leg of a triangle, your two feet
being the other legs.