Old October 1st 09, 07:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

Default The Value Of An Apology, At Least From A Republican's Perspective!!

"Walter Banks" wrote in message

Bill Graham wrote:

In wartime, anyone who is a citizen of the other side that is caught out
of
uniform in your territory is a spy, and can be shot unceremoniously.

What about citizens of the other side in their own territory. Many in
GitMo were arrested in Afghanistan and Iraq

So, the
argument comes down to things like: Are we really in "wartime"? Who is a
citizen of, "The other side"? - Is there an, "other side"? What is the
other
sides, "Uniform"? IOW, things are a lot more complicated that they at
first
seem. And there certainly is lots of room for argument over what is
acceptable and what is not.

Some good points Bill..

Few seem to be arguing the arrest, most are arguing due process what
ever that may be. Treatment of detained persons is a real issue with
many different consequences. One of the few politicians in the US that
has thought this through is McCain.

w..

Yes. the problem is we are accustomed to more conventional wars where armies
had a home country, and wore uniforms, and assembled together and took up
arms against other similar armies. In a terrorist action, or series of
terrorist actions such as we are now experiencing, few of the conventional
rules apply. In some ways, it is similar to our civil war.....No uniforms,
isolated bands of people shooting at other ununiformed isolated bands of
people......And, in the same way, it is hard to establish rules of conduct
that are cut and dried.