Old October 5th 03, 10:50 AM
David Barnes

Default Northern Lights - Yukon/Alaska...

I usually open the aperture right up (F2.8) and shoot 5-30 seconds depending
on the brightness of the aurora. With ISO 400 I would be concentrating
around 15 seconds +/-5seconds and throw in the odd longer and shorter
exposures. Try to keep notes (not always possible when it's really cold and
you only have a short period of auroral activity) so you know what to do
next time. A lot of it is trial and error. I initially used faster films but
have started using 100 or 200 as the faster films seemed a bit too grainy on
the longer exposures.

Hope this helps.

Dave
--
Take out THEDOG to email me.
--
"mjlp" wrote in message
Any ideas what exposure should be used for the Northern Lights, with

tripod
of course?

Film to be used: colour print (ISO 400) and colour transparency (ISO 400).
Lens focal length: 28mm, 35mm, 50mm.
The camera to be used does not have a spot meter, only full frame

averaging.

I am guessing f/8 with 1sec - 4 sec, plus or minus one or two stops on
either side of this.

Can someone reassure or correct me on this?

MJL