Old May 11th 17, 12:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Default Should I buy a 6D or 5D4?

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

On Thursday, 11 May 2017 11:41:43 UTC+1, android wrote:
In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

On 2017-05-10 15:28:14 +0000, Whisky-dave

On 2017-05-10 00:58:11 +0000, PeterN
On 2017-05-09 22:01:39 +0000, PeterN
On 2017-05-09 19:02:03 +0000, PeterN
On 2017-05-09 17:34:25 +0000, android
said:

In article ,
nap wrote:

In article ,
PeterN wrote:
[ ... ] I got a D500, which is an APS C, with a much
higher
shutter
speed, than my FF. [ ... ]

1/8000 sec is much, much faster than 1/8000 sec.

I think that PeterN had the frame rate in mind, FPS...

I can live with as low as 5fps Cl, and I am happy to have
11fps
for
Ch.

The 800 doesn't go to 10 fps.

If you want to get that sort of rate out of a Nikon FF you
will
have to
buy a D4S or D5.

There are a whole bunch of factors controlling frame rate.
With
the
D800/D810 Nikons the inhibiting factor is the massive file
size.

Couple that with a much slower rate when using the SD card
over
the CF
card. According to a Lexar tech rep I met, the SD interface in
the
D800 is slower than the CF interface.

Which it shouldn't be, but if you are shooting Ch, one would
think
that
that if one slot was performance downgraded, you would select
the
medium
which performed best. Even then the difference between the two
isn't
going to be the biggest factor in slowing down the Ch rate, it
is
still
going to be the file size and the ability for the buffer to
clear.
The
4fps rate found in the specs is the performance ceiling, not a
big
issue
in a studio, or for landscapes.

There is a reason the FF Nikons best suited for high frame
rate
sport
shooting are the D4S 16MP(10fps) and D5 20MP (11fps). The
D800/D810
while having great resolution is limited to 4fps before the
buffer
just
chokes on those fat NEF files.

The question I have is, just how important is a very high
frame
rate for
you?

If you are satisfied, great. I would think that the higher
frame
rate
gives me a chance of getting the wings of a bird in just the
right
position.

Probably. It is just one method for capturing that magnificent
miracle
shot, but still no guarantee. There are additional factors
involved,
incuding, but not limited to stuff such as AF-C tracking.

I am NOT saying that a lower FR is not good for animals &
birds.

I found that where the target is passing through a practical
capture, or composition window, at an airshow, or motorsport
event
for
example a 5
to 11 frame burst is the most that is actually practical. I
typically
end up with a usable burst of 5 to 8 frames, and can find a
single
frame, or perhaps two to work on.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/apoel49w3s05ota/screenshot_48.jpg

When I have shot an event such as the triathlon cyclists
making a
slow
climb towards me up an extremely steep hill, Cl at 4-5fps is
just
fine, 8-11fps is too much, and just over-kill.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/93je2mw5g665zbk/screenshot_47.jpg

There is a difference between shooting live critters and cars.

Are not pilots, drivers, and cyclists live critters?

Most of the time their vehicles are the subject. The expressions
on
the planes and cares do not change.

However, for some odd reason the expressions on cyclists seem to
change
quite often.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jtpwq70bxjf7dhg/DSF2420-E.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cit0eig1wcbplnh/DSF2575-E.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7xgpw562ct8exl4/DSF2716-E.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9iscn0ugjcwtgw/DSF2775-E.jpg

I like the first and fourth, best.

I suspect there are more birds and monkeys, than cyclists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmqUpJMVBWY

I used to have a budgie that rode on the back of a toy jeep, seemed
really like it. No photos, it was before I had a camera.

If you like the concept of birds in toy vehicles there is a somewhat
disturbing scene in the movie "The Salton Sea" which takes that idea
a different level.
Bird lovers should not watch.
https://youtu.be/In3vPyyLbI0

The above still applies! This is why organizations like the Goog should
be forced into accountability and to take more responsibility on that
what they publish:

yes they should stick to doing this to more recent polititions....
I;d find it difficulyt to not want to take a shot at Trump, Boris,
Osborne
and perhaps Farage.

You do realize that that was an unauthorized liquidation of four
innocent messenger pigeons. BirdieSnuffSnuff! :-ppp

Yes unauthorized, so was JFK's authorized ?

I could tell you but...
--
teleportation kills