Old August 5th 16, 12:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Fuji's XF 100-400mm zoom beats Nikon's 300mm f/4.0 VR prime.

On 2016-08-04 22:38:31 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Thu, 04 Aug 2016 15:22:09 -0700, Bill W
wrote:
On Fri, 05 Aug 2016 09:44:59 +1200, Eric Stevens
On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 08:43:01 -0700, Savageduck
On 2016-08-04 14:53:08 +0000, PeterN said:
On 8/3/2016 4:56 PM, RichA wrote:
I saw it in a magazine, a convincing win for the Fuji despite the fact
it was a zoom against a prime lens. Nikon's earlier 300mm lenses can
be had for half the price, but are not recommended as they have no VR.
Both Fuji and Nikon run about $2000.00.

If you're shooing birds at high speeds, VR only slows things down. I
find I get better focus tracking without VR.

Has that actually been documented by anybody, other than with your
personal experience?
...or is that some sort of unverified speculation?

VR/OS was on for this shot.
https://db.tt/FChe5Y5t

See https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/33448760 for comments on the
effect of VR on focussing.

From 2009.

In http://www.bythom.com/nikon-vr.htm Thom Hogan explains why VR
should be switched off unless you actually need it.

From 2010.

And another explanation
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/...d-when-turn-it

or

http://tinyurl.com/pvvubgh

Don't know when that's from, but things have certainly progressed
since 2010, plus that Hogan character seems like a bit of a flake, at
least on a quick read. I could be wrong about that, though.

I haven't been following this thread, but Tim Grey just wrote on the
subject of hummingbirds and VR:

http://asktimgrey.com/

It's the August 4 "Stabilizing with Fast Shutter" issue in case a
later date opens at that link.

That makes the most sense. In fact the only reason the VR/OS was on for
the shot I posted was because I neglected to turn it off.

VR/OS is typically most beneficial when it comes to gaining some
headroom at lower shutter speeds and lower ISO values when shootig
handheld.

Savageduck