Old July 3rd 13, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default Camera Security

On 2013.07.03 09:32 , Dave S wrote:
Reading the thread "Looking for DSLR selection recommendation" shows
back-to-back reports of cameras being stolen.

I just returned from a trip to southern Europe. In Rome's central train
station we had an uncomfortable experience. We arrived at our platform
with our luggage about 9:30 AM for an 11:30 departure, and were the only
people on our platform. Two young men ran across tracks to our platform,
gesturing for me to accompany them into the tunnel to see the train
schedule. I, of course, did not follow, but my wife was concerned that
it was my DSLR camera which attracted the attention. During this 3-week
trip, my camera was constantly ready on a Blackrapid Sport harness.

My question is, do you hide your camera in "risky" situations?
If so, how do you do that? I don't bring my camera bag on air trips,
where I only carry my camera + walking-around lens because it's meant to
hold camera + three lenses, and would still advertise the presence of an
expensive camera.

There are steel mesh bags that go outside your camera bag. In turn, the
strap has a steel cable. Neither can be cut easily.

If you're doing any sort of photography it's hard to hide the equipment.
Best defense is really in numbers.

There used to be the odd sods who would say to mask the name of the
equipment or to even false-flag it. (Your Nikon becomes a Yashica) to
reduce theft to demand.

Asia is famous for scooter grabs: two on a motorbike drive by, slow
down, slash the strap and grab the bag. Any bag.

Rome is nuts. I saw a girl/guy team lift a wallet out of a ladies purse
(turning a corner, light bump, girl gets the attention "I'm so
sorry....", guy lifts the wallet, they walk into the alley and then into
the next street. I gestured to the lady and she checked. I bolted
after the two of them and forced (without touching) them to give the
wallet back. The whole time the guy is flinging insults at me. Worse
part is the lady believes an American helped her.).

--
"A Canadian is someone who knows how to have sex in a canoe."
-Pierre Berton