Old October 5th 04, 03:54 AM
Stefan Patric

On Monday 04 October 2004 15:30, Robert Meyers wrote:

Hello all,
I am trying to decide how much light I need for setting up a fairly
portable studio flash setup. I need compact, but I also need enough
light. I have never done studio flash work and keep getting told I
need more light. So here is the big question. How much light? I will
be shooting up to maybe three people. In an enclosed space. I
basically have a one car garage I am converting into a studio. I am
considering setting up my first studio lighting setup and am
thinking of a 300 W/s Panel and a 500 W/s Panel and using a more
traditional lower power unit for a hair light, probably in the 200
W/s range. Good idea? Bad idea? Thoughts, comments, rants? Is this
enough light?

Better more power than not enough. Get the most powerful lighting set
up you can afford, but buy units where you can "dial down" the
individual lights (at least a 2 stop range, 3 would be better) to fit
the situation.

As an example, I have 4-800WS power packs (3200WS) and 8 heads. I can
light most anything I need to with that set up. For head shots or
small groups in a small, all white space like yours, I'll use one
pack with asymmetrical distribution and 3 heads: one head gets 600WS
into a large light box or 60" white umbrella, 1 hairlight at 100WS,
and 1 background at 100WS, plus a silver or white reflector, if
needed. With 100 speed film, my f-stop will be around 8 to 11.

--
Stefan Patric