Old February 20th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Scanning photos onto one's hard drive - why are the photos clearerthan the scan

Patrick Briggs wrote:
Hi,

Does anybody understand why when one scans photos off an Epson 1200
Perfection (not accurate I think) scanner the results are slightly less
sharp than looking at the photo itself.

I'm scanning at 600 dpi and resizing the picture to 1100 x 700 pixels. I
import the picture into Adobe Acrobat 6.0

That's an odd procedure. First of all, there is no gain in
amoage quality by scanning a print at more than 300 ppi.
Then you reduced the nuber of pixels below 300 ppi, assuming
that the original print was larger than

I wonder if it's something to do with older scanner technology (it's a 5
year old scanner at least) or just a reality of scanning photos with
consumer scanners. I assume that $1000 scanners used by ad agencies
don't have this problem.

If this is the wrong group to posts this to, does anybody know of a
newsgroup that would be able to help?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Patrick