Old August 18th 04, 11:53 PM
Hunt

In article , says...

bob wrote:

As a rookie, I have a Canon EOS Rebel (film) camera with a
ProMaster 70-300mm lens.
I'm getting a Nikon D70. Is there an adapter that will allow
me to use the Canon ProMaster lens on my Nikon D70 body ?

No

If so, roughly how much $ and where to get ? And what are
the downsides (auto focus won't work ? etc ?).

1) Infinity focus would be impossible without an optical converter
2) Its not possible to control the aperture without a Canon body
3) Focus would be manual *if* an adapter existed

I simply cannot afford another 300mm lens yet and need one to
shoot football with the D70. So even if it is not ideal to
reuse my ProMaster lens, if I can't then I can't get the D70
yet and must suffer through another football season shooting
film (very badly) with my Canon Rebel.
Thanks for any advice...

Bob

Buy a Canon Digital Rebel, instead of a Nikon D70?

-Dave

If the lens is important, that sounds like the way to go.

Back in the days of C-F1 & N-F thru F2, there were several adaptors that were
marketed for conversions both ways. They never seemed to be around very long,
however, for the reasons that you stated. Marty Fourcher [SP?] did some
conversions, first from Nikon lenses Canon, then Canon lenses Nikon, as
Canon took the forefront in optics. I do not know if he is still in business,
but doubt that his company would even think about doing such now, with AF
servo connections, as well as many other electronic circuits. I can't believe
that one could be manufactured for less than the cost of a corresponding body.

Hunt