Old January 19th 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Podge

Default The "Digital Photography Not Permitted On Aircraft..." thread

"Paul Heslop" wrote in message
Paul Bartram wrote:
Don't think I've ever seen one go so long... And are we any the wiser
because of it? :-)

Paul

As the actress said to the bishop.

--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
Stop and Look

I can't speak for others, but as the initiator of that thread, I have
certainly learned a great deal from it. There are a lot more issues than
meet the eye when you ask questions about photography on airlines. Not the
least of which is the possibility that your camera might become a flying
missile if it parts company from you if you experience turbulence during
takeoffs and landings! But there is some good news, even though the airlines
won't let you use your camcorder or digital camera to take pics during
takeoffs or landings, Air New Zealand, at least, permits you to use a
portable shaver at any time during the flight. So if you must fiddle with
something during takeoffs and landings, you can have a shave.

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/trave...lt.htm#anytime

But couldn't a portable shaver also become a flying missile if there is
turbulence during any part of a flight? Well it seems that, at least Air NZ
has decided that a portable shaver's electronics won't interfere with
navigation systems. And some day, I hope they decide that digital cameras
and camcorders don't emit harmful radiation either. I don't think there have
been any documented instances yet when the use of digital cameras has been
found to cause harm to an aircraft's systems, but several posters to the
thread have pointed out that newer digital cameras can have wifi, GPS etc.
so everyone seems to be reconciled to the view that we should only take our
pics about 10 minutes after the flight has started, which means that some of
the best photographic opportunities will have been missed.

Anyway, I shouldn't repeat all the issues here, it's best to post your views
to the main thread so that everyone can see what you think.

Podge