Old July 22nd 04, 09:45 PM
Dave Herzstein

Default Digital quality (vs 35mm): Any real answers?

Toralf wrote:
I'm still wondering about how good the image quality of modern digital
cameras (especially SLRs) really is, in particular how it compares with
35mm film. I've seen many articles on the subject on the Net, but few of
them seem to give you a lot of tangible information (I want to see the
numbers, please), and I can't help feeling that tests they refer to are
usually done to prove a point, i.e. that digital cameras are as good as
35mm, which is not the way you do proper research.

To say a few words about myself, I'm working for a company that makes
high-accuracy, large-format scanners, so I'm not particularly impressed
when I hear e.g 6 million pixels (you need to talk about *billions* of
pixels if I'm really going to listen), and the word "interpolation"
leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But this also means I know that high
resolution isn't everything, of course; parameters like geometric
precision or signal-to-noise ratio also count a lot.

Why not convince yourself (one way or the other) by comparing
side-by-side prints (or whatever final output you like) of 35mm
prints/scans and 6MP DSLR. I viewed some 20" X 30" prints from a 6PM
digital, bought one, sold my film bodies and haven't regreted it. YMMV

-Dave