Old July 3rd 12, 06:35 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

Default Agfa Viradon???????

"polly filler" wrote in message
news

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in
message

"polly filler" wrote in message
o.uk...
Hi All,

Have just tried Agfa Viradon to try and brown tone my
photograph to make it look like an old picture
as it was taken on an old camera.
The paper used was Ilford multigrade 1V RC size 16" x
12" well washed.
The instructions said dilute at 50 -1 and immerse print
for 2 to 10 minuets.
After 20 minuets nothing had happened so I increased the
strenght to 1-25.
After 45 minuets still nothing had happened to the
print, but the viradon went all "murky"

Could someone please explain why my print wouldn't tone,
also I tried to tone in some sepia after but it
wouldn't sepia either. Why?????????

Thanks in advance

Some papers don't tone very well but you should have
gotten some color change. Two versions of Viradon were
made: The older one was a combination of selenium and
polysulfide similar to Kodak Polytoner and the later one
was sulfide only similar to Kodak Brown Toner. The
polysulfide toner works very slowly unless heated. You
might try heating the toner to about 120F. After toning
the print should be treated in a bath of sodium sulfite
to stop the toning and get rid of the yellow stain. I've
found that Kodak Hypo Clearing Agent works fine. I think
this has been discontinued but Ilford's hypo remover
should work. I use the clearing agent at normal working
strength.
Polysulfide toner has the virtue of toning all
densities at the same rate so will provide considerable
image protection even when only partial toning has been
done.
It has the peculiar property of toning _faster_ when
diluted or partly exhausted and if too weak can leave a
peach-colored stain which is very difficult to remove.
What kind of Sepia toner did you try?

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles

Hi many thanks for the reply, I used fotospeed sepia
toner.
I'll try it with my dishwarmer under the tray.

There are several type of "sepia" toner. The one
usually called this is a two step, bleach and redevelop,
toner. Some newer papers are very hard to bleach. If this
is the problem you are having you may have to try mixing
your own toner. Kodak was selling Sepia Toner II
specifically for newer papers but I think its been
discontinued along with nearly all Kodak chemicals. Other
sepia toners are one-step. The polysulfide type like
Viradon, is one, others have to be mixed yourself. There are
many variations of these but the formulas for Kodak and
Ansco or AGFA are reliable. Google should find formulas or
post here and I will send some.
Note that all sulfiding toners smell from hydrogen
sulfide (rotten egg odor) and are best used outdoors.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles
WB6KBL