Old June 28th 12, 06:08 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

Default Agfa Viradon???????

"polly filler" wrote in message
o.uk...
Hi All,

Have just tried Agfa Viradon to try and brown tone my
photograph to make it look like an old picture
as it was taken on an old camera.
The paper used was Ilford multigrade 1V RC size 16" x 12"
well washed.
The instructions said dilute at 50 -1 and immerse print
for 2 to 10 minuets.
After 20 minuets nothing had happened so I increased the
strenght to 1-25.
After 45 minuets still nothing had happened to the print,
but the viradon went all "murky"

Could someone please explain why my print wouldn't tone,
also I tried to tone in some sepia after but it
wouldn't sepia either. Why?????????

Thanks in advance

Some papers don't tone very well but you should have
gotten some color change. Two versions of Viradon were made:
The older one was a combination of selenium and polysulfide
similar to Kodak Polytoner and the later one was sulfide
only similar to Kodak Brown Toner. The polysulfide toner
works very slowly unless heated. You might try heating the
toner to about 120F. After toning the print should be
treated in a bath of sodium sulfite to stop the toning and
get rid of the yellow stain. I've found that Kodak Hypo
Clearing Agent works fine. I think this has been
discontinued but Ilford's hypo remover should work. I use
the clearing agent at normal working strength.
Polysulfide toner has the virtue of toning all
densities at the same rate so will provide considerable
image protection even when only partial toning has been
done.
It has the peculiar property of toning _faster_ when
diluted or partly exhausted and if too weak can leave a
peach-colored stain which is very difficult to remove.
What kind of Sepia toner did you try?

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles