Old February 26th 08, 11:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
marc4ucb

Default SFO, Yosemite, etc.

On Feb 24, 11:56 am, Alan Browne wrote:
Nature destinations are Yosemite,
Sequoia, Death Valley.

I wouldn't go to Death Valley in July. It is fantastic in early
spring. But if you must, make sure you have a good broad brimmed hat
and sun screen. Do not leave film or equipment in a closed car. I
have seen camera seals fried in 90 min left in a closed sedan. No
Joke, I have also seen a few second degree burns from slipping onto
vinyl or leather seats in shorts or bathing suits.

Not sure if we'll spend much time in San Francisco.

Too Bad! Greatest City in the World and very Photogenic. If you get
a chance go to the Palace of Legion Of Honor for great views of the
ocean, lands end, point lobos and the Golden Gate. Every Wedding
photgrapher in the Bay Area take their subjects there for portraits.

Any and all ideas, pointers gratefully received.

I do not agree that air will be clear in Yosemite. In the summer
there are often inversions over Yosemite Valley. When this occurs air
pollution in the valley can be significant. Water vapor also is often
trapped by the inversion reducing visibility dramatically.

I recommend a drive up to Tuolumne Meadows in the north eastern area
of Yosemite Park This will provide you with dramatic overlooks of the
Valley from El Capitan. If you are fit (don't need to be too fit) and
like hiking you can hike down the Tuolumne River and shoot 8 Gb in a
few hours. Continuing out Hwy 120 will take you over Tioga pass to
Mono Lake. All of this is a photographer's heaven.

At short drive to the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir and a little more hiking
will also provide dramatic sights that will delight any Photographer.
Very few visitors from outside CA get up to Hetch Hetchy. But it is a
favorite trailhead for backpackers and one John Muir's favorite
subjects. If you haven't already done so look at Muir's images. They
will give you some good ideas. The Road out to Hetch Hetchy will take
you through Tuolumne Grove for some shots of Sequoia giganticus.

You don't need to be warned about Bears do you? . They make great
subjects. They are not aggressive, but use that 200mm lens and stay
aware of your surroundings.

Night shots of Half Dome and El Capitan are fun and beautiful and will
wow your friends. These monoliths stay pretty hot during the blue
hours so I sometimes take two exposures. One for the rock and one for
the stars. Then I put them together in PhotoShop.

A night shot from up in the Tuolumne Meadows area will reveal more
stars than you knew could exist.

Gear:
Digital: 6 Mpix DSLR
Film: 35mm and 120 (slide film [V50/100; E100G...]).

Lenses: 35mm: 20mm, 50mm, 100mm, 135mm, 28-70, 80-200 (all f/2.8 or faster)
120: 80, 120 and 150mm (may rent a 40mm too).

Tripod/geared head.

You must have a good Circular Polarizer Filter and a good UV filter.
If you can afford it I would get a good quality Ball Head like a
Markins M10 instead of your gear head.

Is your Tripod good for low angle shots. I find myself shooting a lot
of low angle detail shots in the Sierras. Bring lots of memory. You
can burn CDs at the store in Yosemite village or Curry Camp if you
don't have a lap top or other mass storage device.

Have fun Alan