Old September 6th 07, 12:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
wohnwagen

Default Serif Photoplus free offer details....

"KGB (KGB)" wrote in message
On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 11:41:03 +0100, Adrian C
wrote:

wohwagen wrote:

Serif are currently giving away 5 of their older programmes for
absolutely
nothing (you pay 89p for the CD & P&P) They make a half-hearted
attempt
to sell you the latest version when you telephone them for the free
software - but that's it.

The down side - and I have this verified here - is that Serif readily
sell name and address details of applicants to junk mail outfits. If you
do order the (mostly worthwhile!) software, make it clear to them that
you don't want your postal mailbox spammed.

--
Adrian C

Hi

The other downside in my experience is that whilst the software is
very good and the retail products reasonably priced, the company
itself is very, very, hard sell.

The free offer (whilst genuine) is basically a ploy to get you on the
end of a phone by giving away out of date software so they can try and
sell you their latest offering. Phone the contact number and, far
from being half-hearted, they will go to any lengths to persuade you
to upgrade to the latest product - or perhaps I was just unlucky.

Perhaps *!* was just lucky -;} I phoned for the CD and got a young girl on
the other end who didn't make much of an effort to sell me anything - just
'special price' £49 upgrade. When I declined she made no further sales
attempts - and the CD duly arrived a few days later.

Perhaps I interrupted her doing her nails? -;}

Probably worth setting up a throw-away mail address with Yahoo (or similar)
so that if any spam does arrive from Serif or their 'specially selected
partners' (i.e, anyone who pays for the info) you'll never see it.