Old May 21st 05, 05:25 PM
Alan Browne

Frank ess wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:

Skip M wrote:

As with many of Canon's consumer level lenses, there seems to be a
wide variation in samples. This was taken with the 18-55 that was
bundled with my wife's 20D:
http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-b...ces&picture=26

Sharp, good color, not much more that you can ask for in a lens that
runs about $100.

I'm guessing the shot was made at f/8 to f/11 ... almost any lens will
do well in bright light and those aperture settings.

The real test is wide open...

The real test is: Did it make an attractive image for viewing in these
circumstances, and it did. A "truly awful" lens would not have been able
to dpo that.

See above. Even awful lenses do well in high contrast light and a few
stops down. I used to have the Minolta 28-80xi lens, which was mediocre
to good at best. Yet, in bright conditions stopped down, I mades some
wonderful images with it.

As to the person who made the "truly awful" statement about Canon kit
lenses, he is wrong in many instances. The more recent 28-80's were not
only good, they were very good for their price. Better than Nikon and
Minolta in that 'class' and price range.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.