Old June 15th 04, 04:27 AM
Bill Hilton

Default Canon tripod mount adapter?

From: "Scott"

I was browsing the L lenses, for fun, and noticed this 'accessory' listed
for the 70-200 f/4 L. I can understand on the big honking lenses the need
for a mid-point on which to attach the tripod, for balance, but this lens is
a tiny thing. Is this a necessary item when using a tripod with this lens?

It's about the same weight as the 75-300 IS (couple of ounces heavier) ... you
don't *need* the tripod collar for it but sometimes it's convenient. My wife
has this lens and we also have two other lenses that use the same tripod collar
(400 f/5.6 L and 300 f/4 L), so we have access to a collar that fits. If she's
putting a t/c on it or if she's using a gimbal head like the Sidekick she
usually puts the collar on, if she's using other lenses without collars so the
camera body has a tripod mount she usually doesn't bother.

I wouldn't pay the extra $150 or so for it, that's for sure.

Bill