Old August 20th 09, 01:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
TheRealSteve

Default suggestions on upgrading to a new pc

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 10:27:20 +0100, Chris H
wrote:

In message , Bob Larter
writes
Ray Fischer wrote:
ray wrote:
On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 16:40:04 -0700, wrote:

looking for some input/suggestions on buying new pc.

im shooting with the 5d mark II ,raw files are big around 25 the mb
region
my current specs are below .

machine is slowing a bit around 1 1/2 yr old looking to upgrade to a new
one .

INTEL PENTIUM 4 3.20 GHZ
NVDIA GEFORCE 7800 GS
200 GG HD ATA
4 GB RAM
WINDOWS XP PRO
GATEWAY 24 IN HD MONITOR
calabrated with the xrite pro
Problem is not with the machine - problem is with the OS. You keep
mucking with MS it's going to keep running slower from the day you
install. Suggest you try Linux instead -
And using the computer will be slower from day one because you'll
have
to spend more time taking care of the OS.

With Linux? Are you kidding? One of the biggest advantages of Linux
over Windows is that you're not having to constantly tweak stuff to
keep it running at 100% efficiency.

So Linux has an autoupdate facility like Windows and OSX?

Yes it does. At least the versions I use (Ubuntu and Redhat) do.

Who do you call for support on the particular version of linux you are
suggesting? I assume there is telephone support?

Vast amount of support available for free online.

Steve