Old October 18th 05, 01:07 AM
Paul Heslop

Default Can I use Photoshop "Slice" to simply split an image into manyparts?

Hunt wrote:

In article ,
says...

" wrote:

I need to figure out a way ASAP to split a large (8.5 x 11 inches) JPG
image into separate jpgs. My school has printed pages of barcodes, 2
columns by 13 or so. I need to handle about 500 barcodes, and separate
them into separate jpg files to be printed on library cards/badges.

Can I use Photoshop (recent, CS) "Slice" to do this? It's very
confusing as it tries to mainly build a web page etc.

Can anyone clue me in on how to "pretty simply" get the 26 or so
separate image files from one input file?

I have worked (played??) a bit right now with "Slice" and I can get the
slicing set up OK to outline the sections I need...

Many thanks...

Regards, Terry King ...On The Mediterranean in Carthage

according to this instruction you can save the images OR html from
slice, but I have to say I've never used the thing

http://www.mediacollege.com/graphics...ool/slice.html

Personally I'd just use the marquee tool and copy and save each
section with that, but I find photoshop cumbersome so I would probably
have used paintshop pro, which has a nice handy 'paste as a new image'
so you could have each section on the work surface until you've
cropped them all then save them in order.

--
Paul (Sometimes my mind plays tricks on me)
Stop and Look

Slice is not what you want to do. As the barcodes are probably the same
general size with some white background around them, the above method will
work well. Once you have setup your Marquee Selection to the size you want,
Save Selection, place it over the first barcode, Ctrl-J, to create a new Layer
from that barcode. Load Selection (Saved above), click the Lasso (or most
other Selection tools) in the area of the Selection, THEN press Shift to
constrain the move of the Selection, and drag down to the next barcode. Repeat
Ctrl-J. Soon, you will have each barcode on a separate Layer. From here, you
can export each Layer to a New Image, or whatever you wish to do with them.
You could un-check all but one, and then Print it, but I'd migrate each to a
New Image, sized as you wish, so you don't print, say one barcode onto an 8.5
x 11 sheet. You could dispense with the Layer creation, but by creating them,
then saving the Layered image as a PSD, all of the work will be done, and
Saved for later use.

In Paul's method, a few keyboard short-cuts will speed things up: set up
Marquee, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-N (New Image), Click on OK, as PS will setup the New
Image per the size of the image in the Clipboard, Ctrl-S (will bring up
Save_As, and you choose a name for each created New Image. The holding down of
Shift, with a Selection Tool in the Marquee, will allow you to drag the
Selection in a constrained path.

Hunt

Hah, thanks for that Hunt, I'm lousy at getting things speeded up :O)