Old November 22nd 04, 07:59 PM
RSD99

There are several tutorials "on the web" that might help you.

Go to the "Web Photo School" and look through their offerings
http://www.webphotoschool.com/Lesson_Library/index.html

The free lessons ... several of which are based on product photography
scenarios ... are at
http://www.webphotoschool.com/Lesson...ons/index.html

For small object photography .... items such as Jewelry ... see Ganoskin's
site at
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/dire...rary/subject/9

O'Reilly has an interesting site on 'Professional Product Shots Made Easy'
at
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/orei...01/product_sho
ts.html

Adorama has a site that describes the use of Tent Lighting (something every
product photographer really should know) at
http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=article_080403

This is just a small sampling of the sites that are available. You can find
many more using your 'Friendly Local Search Engine.'

You also asked:
"...
Second, what background would be best.
...."

A properly lit white "sweep" usually works quite well. However, I often use
something like a graduated paper

Superior Specialties
http://www.superspec.com/
Graduated Seamless paper backgrounds are at
http://www.superspec.com/cat2001/pages/gradindex.html

Or Savage Paper, who is one of the largest suppliers and is stocked by many
of the on-line photography sites (such as B&H, Adorama, Calumet, etcetera),
or
http://www.savagepaper.com/widetone.htm

wrote in message
m...
Please advise on product photography. I list electronic test equipment
on my website. I have a 7 mega pixel camera. I just tried using a
white-white background for my pictures but after much effort I finally
realized that a very-white background is not the best solution. I wish
to use Photoshop to eliminate the background behind the equipment so
each item appears to float. Exactly like is done in many product
catalogs. I know this is very common but there must be a trick or
technique I'm not aware of. Of course I'd like the best quality,
professional pictures possible but I do understand that people spend
many years to become proficient in photography. So, I am realistic in
my expectations. But, I know I can get getter pictures than I have
currently.

First, is there and good online info on using a digital camera for
product photograph (product advertising)?

Second, what background would be best. Do I need a green-screen?
Obviously, a white-white background is not the answer. Plus the
white-ness seems to compete with the darker colors, especially black,
and the camera doesn't seem to process the scene correctly.