Old October 1st 04, 02:14 PM
Ken Burns

If the lenses are pre-AI lenses, then they will be incompatible. If the
rear edge of the aperture ring protrudes rearward beyond the surface of the
mounting flange, then the lenses cannot even be mounted onto a digital SLR
body without damage.

KB

"Seth" wrote in message
m...
Forgive me in advance as I'm rather inexperienced as a photographer...

I'm happy to say that my father has passed down his venerable Nikon F
camera (late 1960s) to me tonight, along with a whole bunch of
compatible lenses (telephoto, wide angle, etc.) All these years, my
father continues to be an incredible photographer and it certainly
meant a lot to me to pass down a bunch of his beloved equipment.

However, I'll be first to admit that I'm definitely of the computer
generation. I've been doing digital photography from the early years
(I still have my Sony DSC-F1, which was 640x480!), and I currently
quite a bit of design work with my Canon S300 (point and shoot) to
supplement my graphic design work. For years, I've craved a digital
SLR camera for more flexibility, but couldn't dream of owning all the
lenses.

So the question is this: Are there affordable SLR digital cameras out
there on the market that are compatible with all the wonderful lenses
that I just received? I believe that these lenses are not AF lenses,
and are from the early 1970s. I believe that they are 52mm. My
father and I have been under the impression that any digital SLRs
won't accept these original lenses. Are we wrong in this respect?

Thank you so much for your input in advance!

- Seth Diamond )