Old June 9th 17, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| That's what I meant. I don't mean things like
| picking folder colors. I meant that a Mac is
| generally far more locked down than Windows,
| in terms of hardware. Some of their laptops
| are virtually encased in resin. Apple go out
| of their way to prevent upgrading customizing.
|
| I've replaced hard drives in a couple of laptops and added RAM to a
| few. But most laptops my family has used have over the years have not
| been upgraded, no need to. I suspect that holds for the majority of
| laptop users.

That was just an example. Some Mac laptops
have actually been encased in resin. Even replacing
the hard disk you'd be out of luck.

what hard disk? mac laptops don't have hard disks anymore, so nothing
to replace.

Are you actually
unfamiliar with Apple hardware problems? They
even invented their own screw drive design to
block people from opening things.

that was done to optimize manufacturing and the proper tools are
readily available for a few bucks from amazon or elsewhere. not a big
deal at all.

now go look at the security screws on a flip phone or cable tv box.
many of them have security screws, and those tools are not as easy to
get (although not impossible).

First there's the cost of a Windows disk. If I
remember correctly, a Pro copy is required. That's
probably about $200 OEM or $300 full license.

you 'remember' wrong. more accurately, you never knew.

there is no requirement to get pro.

Then you need to be willing to waste all those
resources to actually run an OS within an OS.
It's incredibly inefficient.

nope. there is no waste in doing so. windows runs *natively*.

Then.... For what? The
argument that "you should buy this car because
you can always drive a different one" is hardly
a convincing sales pitch.

to run a windows app. duh.

If people have money to burn and want Mac,
they can buy Mac. If they also need Windows
they can buy a fullscale desktop for $300-$400.

not a very good computer. in fact, a rather ****ty one.

And unlike Mac, it won't be glued shut. That's a
whole computer for almost the same cost as
getting Windows shoehorned into the Mac.

who cares. how often do you open your computer, versus use it?

by the way, apple used to make macs that were very easy to open,
without any tools at all. just pop a latch with your finger.

for the older powermacs, the computer did not even need to be shut off
when opening it.

it turned out that few people cared. most people do actual work with
their computer, not take it apart and put it back together all day
long.

https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/xU2K4BtAhUqqKAmR.huge
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Mac_G4_MDD_ope
n.jpg

https://support.apple.com/library/co...are/images/en_
US/macpro/remove_side_panel.png
https://support.apple.com/library/co...are/images/en_
US/macpro/6_core_push_latches.png
https://support.apple.com/library/co...are/images/en_
US/macpro/6_core_remove_tray.png

I never said people shouldn't use Macs, so I
don't see why you feel you need to defend them.
I only agreed with you that they're like sports
cars: Expensive, limited, and pretty. Sports cars
have their place.

macs are not expensive, nor are they limited.

however, they are pretty, most of them, anyway. there were a couple of
not so attractive ones over the years.