Old December 14th 05, 03:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Try again - Fuji F10/F11- taking pictures inside churches in Europe

On 13 Dec 2005 18:05:18 -0800, qwert2b2 wrote:

Greetings! I have read that F10/F11 can take pictures in ISO 800-1600
without much noise. I am going to Europe next summer. I am going to
take pictures of inside the churches like Canterbury Cathedral, York
Minister etc and various museums in Europe. Do you think that the
F10/F11 can do the job using high ISO? I have a DSLR but I do not want
to carry it to Europe. With thanks.

Unless the brightness level in those churches and museums is
known, there's no way to determine if the F10/F11 will be able to do
the job, and the results will vary. Only a DSLR will do better, and
the F10 might do better than some of the older ones. One way to
look at it is that if the F10/F11 only produces fair results in some
of the darker churches and museums, any other P&S camera will do a
poor job or worse. What will help would be to try to find the most
portable means of steadying the camera, which will allow longer
usable shutter speeds. Tripods are normally not allowed, but there
are other things you may be able to use instead. One device I've
read about is essentially a long cord that attaches at one end to
the camera's tripod socket. The other end either loops around your
shoe or you step on it. When the cord is kept taut, it becomes
effectively a monopod, but takes up little space. You could put it
in a pocket. You might even be able to make one for little cost if
you have the right screw, of purchase a very cheap tabletop tripod,
hack it into bits (or unscrew it) and make the device yourself. And
of course practice a bit with it before the trip, both using the
strap (if you buy or make one) and also to see for yourself ahead of
time what the slowest shutter speed is that you can hold steady
enough to produce decent shots when the lighting is dim.