Old May 7th 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital

Default Question about buying a d50 cheaply

On 2006-05-03 15:15:17 -0400, (East Bay) Phil
said:

On Wed, 03 May 2006 10:56:08 -0700
SMS wrote:

(East Bay) Phil wrote:
I'd avoid the E-500 due to the noise issues. Also, there is no
upgrade path with Olympus, nor is there a good selection of lenses.
With Nikon, you have huge availability of lenses, both new, used,
and third-party.

In the course of investigating the Nikon, upgrade path has been
something I've begun to explore. I've read posts about the d70(s)
vs d50. I'm not experienced enough with the high-end to properly
assess feature differences. That said, if I'm looking at the d50
w/ 18-70 vs the d70 w/ 18-70 at a similar price should I be looking
to the d70?

No. By the time you go to the D70s, you're almost at the cost of a
Canon Rebel XT, which is better than the D70s in many ways. The D50
is perfect for what you're looking for.

Hrmm. I found a refurb d70 + 18-70 for $699 at one of the recommended
online stores. That's what sparked my query. This is contrasted with
$399 for a d50 body + $2-300 for an 18-70 lens.

I'm going to take a spin over the local camera shop today to get a
feel for both of these models.

It's very bad manners to try out cameras at a local shop, then buy
online.

Point taken. As a rule, if a local shop sells or can sell within a
reasonable margin of the 'best deal' I will support the local
merchant. Rest assured that they do get business from me.

Ditto on the above.... My local camera store sells bodies within 10 to
30 dollars of B&H prices.. why wouldn't I give my business to him. I
have the D70s.. Dad has the D50. The 18-70 lens is great. You won't
go wrong with either of these!

--
Jim