Old February 7th 06, 08:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Am I over-sharpening?

Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address) wrote:
Some shots from the Richmond Hill Winter Carnival, 2006/02/04. No
snow, but it was overcast, and the Panasonic FZ5 is not known as a great
low-light camera. Where it does have an advantage is the 10X optical
zoom lens. The pond shots were taken from quite a distance. I took
quite a few shots, and made a bunch of awful beginner's mistakes. Some
shots came out OK, especially after working on them with Gimp (free
Photoshop-like program). The ones that weren't totally embarressing are
up at...

http://www.pbase.com/waltdnes/rhwc2006

I tried out "sharpening" on the images. Certainly looks different.
As a beginner, I don't know whether the sharpening is too much. That's
my main question about these shots.

Too much sharpening will result in appearance of a white 'aura' around
objects. If you don't reach that point, you probably haven't sharpened
too much.