Old June 8th 09, 08:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Default [SI] Filters comments from Calvin Sambrook

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 15:55:42 +0100, "Calvin Sambrook"
wrote:

I struggled this month to not make a contrived photo and I see others have
had the same problems. Mind you some of you have produced pretty good
stuff.

filter_-_Bob_Flint-1-shrinkwrap.jpg: This is just too visually confusing and
for me it simply doesn't work because of that. Either the foreground or the
background on their own may well have looked good but each detracts from the
other.

I found the tension in this to be the strong point, but of course art is
subjective! I found the shots with no foreground looked kind of boring, and
those with no background too confusing... Perhaps less foreground would be good
as well. (The reason the background looks the way it does is because it was out
of focus.)

filter_-_Bob_Flint-2-bloom.jpg: I like this even though my brain is saying
no. The artificial detail juxtaposed with the apparently artificially soft
bits cause a tension which draws me in.

Looks a bit like frost, eh? The only thing I didn't like in this shot was the
pole with the brown band... there was no place to stand to exclude it from the
shot. I should have cloned it out!

filter_-_Bob_Flint-3-crackle.jpg: Where does your eye land when you see
this? For me it's bottom right then snap to top left. That's great
composition and I suspect wasn't there in the pre-photoshop version as the
colours would probably have confused the eye a bit more. Really nice.

Thanks! This shot is of a demolished potting shed and other garbage waiting to
be cleaned up. The blur effect cleaned it up nicely!