Old July 22nd 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
Peter J E Brunning

Default Canon S3 or S5....?

"Neil Harrington" wrote in message
. ..

"Rohit" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am having canon A310 and learning photography using it, and now
planing to get other new one. I have seen Canon PowerShot S3 IS and
S5, now confuse between these two.
NT: Please route me to correct group if I have posted in wrong group.

I have the Canon S2 IS which is very similar to the S3, and have found it
a very good camera for its type, given the limitations of the type. The
main shortcoming in my opinion is the electronic viewfinder, which is
quite coarse -- but this tends to be the case with this type of camera.
I'm not at all familiar with the S5.

Another camera that would be very suitable for learning about photography
is Nikon's Coolpix P5000, which I don't own yet but probably will before
long. However, the P5000 is not a superzoom like the S3, and does not have
the articulated LCD monitor either. If the superzoom feature is important
to you, I'd suggest you look at Panasonic's Lumix FZ models which are
excellent. I have an older Panasonic FZ15 which I like better than the
Canons, though this is just a matter of personal preference. Panasonic's
new FZ8 is a very attractive superzoom at the price...

I am very pleased with my FZ7. It's got a much better lens and zoom than
most point-and-shoot cameras and is smaller, lighter and cheaper than an
SLR. It was highly favoured in the zlr newsgroup when the group was working
well. I also have a personal preference for the Lumix controls - I also have
a nice small Canon but wonder if I shouldn't have got another Lumix as they
are perhaps even smaller. That said, I am now wondering about an SLR...

Peter