Old June 12th 13, 12:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default The resurrection of the single focal length lens point & shoot

In article , Dudley
Hanks wrote:

SZ (in one of his many incarnations) and I, and several others of you, were
jabbering on about "zooming with our feet," and I pointed out that
eventually, cam manufacturers would produce cams with large enough sensors
that they could put a good single focus lens on the body and get the same or
better results for average users than using a more expensive lens cheap
sensor configuration.

except they didn't do that at all. they use the same size sensor and
might have digital zoom, which is nothing you couldn't do later (and
better) on a computer. more importantly, digital zoom will never be
better than optical zoom.