Old June 12th 13, 12:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

Default The resurrection of the single focal length lens point & shoot

"RichA" wrote in message

I never thought I'd see a day when the single-focal length lens P&S
would be brought forward, but now we have Sigma's 3 models, Nikon's
new Coolpix A, Ricoh's GR, and Sony's RX-1. I'm sure there are more.
So how many people buy them because they are disciplined photogs who
can deal with a single focal length properly and how many buy it
because they are too lazy to change lenses? These are not cheap
cameras, they range from $900 to $3000 each.

OK, so these cams are "single focal length." But, do they incorporate a
"digital zoom"? (i.e. on camera cropping to an image size less than max
possible)

If so, I believe, several years ago, I predicted cam manufacturers would go
this route...

SZ (in one of his many incarnations) and I, and several others of you, were
jabbering on about "zooming with our feet," and I pointed out that
eventually, cam manufacturers would produce cams with large enough sensors
that they could put a good single focus lens on the body and get the same or
better results for average users than using a more expensive lens cheap
sensor configuration.

I love it when I'm right ...

Take Care,
Dudley