Old April 11th 13, 01:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

Default Quandary - DX or FX?

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 07:10:59 +0000 (UTC), Nige Danton
wrote:
: I'm in a bit of a quandary. I've currently got a D7000 and an 18-105 lens.
: Ive recently (this year) switched back to SLR's after a decade of using
: digital point and shoot. I'm certainly pleased with D7000, but am finding
: the 18-105 to be a bit too slow in low light (indoors without flash) and am
: thinking of buying a faster lens.
:
: Also I've found some of the (cropped) images to be not quite as sharp as I
: would like. This mainly seems to occur in low light shots.
:
: I'm also keen to try some macro photography too, and have been thinking
: about a macro lens, perhaps extension tubes or even a bellows.
:
: My quandary is this. I'm not (at all) sure that I'm satisfied with a DX
: format and really don't want to buy new lenses and accessories and then
: find myself needing to re-buy them if/when I buy an FX body.
:
: So, what do you think. Should I spend more time and practise getting the
: best out of my D7000 or switch to an FX body now? Cost is not particular
: issue - that said I don't want to be wasteful.
:
: Appreciate any feedback.

Stick with the D7000 for now, but buy only lenses that can be used with an FX
body. (They'll be more telephoto-ish (and less wideangle-ish) on a DX body;
but if you keep the 1/1.5 conversion factor in mind, you'll be fine.) Then if
and when you decide you need the FX body, you won't have to buy all new
lenses. (That may never happen, BTW; you may find that all your
dissatisfaction was due to the quality of your current lenses.)

Bob