Old December 20th 06, 10:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

Default thoughts on Canon A630 (8 MP) Vs A710 (7 MP)

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 10:39:40 +0000, bugbear wrote:

The A630 is better for noise free shots in low light because it
uses a larger sensor, 1/1.8" vs the A710's 1/2.5" sensor.

For stationary subjects in dim light, the A710 can take steadier
shots due to having IS, which the A630 lacks.

Doesn't the A630's better low light sensitivity mitigate this?

Somewhat, but not enough to match the A710's IS (sez I, who has
never used an A710). But as I said, only for stationary objects.
If they're moving, IS won't help avoid subject blur. So when IS can
be used (and is needed), it's a probably a little better, otherwise
the advantage would go to the A6x0's with their larger sensors. In
any case, for the *best* shots of stationary subjects, a tripod
can't be beat, and makes the A710 little more than an A700.