Old November 12th 20, 06:22 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Alan Baker[_2_]

Default Google Photos will end its free unlimited storage on June 1st,2021

On 2020-11-12 8:28 a.m., Arlen Holder wrote:
On Thu, 12 Nov 2020 15:37:41 +0100, Joerg Lorenz wrote:

I do know what it means.

But I also know you must trust the provider of the encryption not to
have produced a back door...

'Is Google Drive secure?

You have to ask yourself why you are using Android in the first place.

For the _adults_ on this newsgroup...
o This conversation between two known Type III apologists is revealing!

The first, presumably Alan Baker (whom I have killfiled, which is rare for
me, since very few people do I plonk even after decades on Usenet) believes
Apple MARKETING but not what is reported reliably in the media on cloud
storage:
o iCloud backups are NOT encrypted, by JF Mezei
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/-EA9TYUeVhk

JF Mezei is "the media"?

iCloud backups ARE encrypted...

....but Apple also has a key.

'The question even came up in a Speigle interview with Apple's CEO, Tim
Cook, translated by Google:

"Our users have a key there, and we have one. We do this because some
users lose or forget their key and then expect help from us to get their
data back. It is difficult to estimate when we will change this
practice. But I think that in the future it will be regulated like the
devices. We will therefore no longer have a key for this in the future."'

https://www.imore.com/apples-icloud-backup-plans-and-fbi

Apple being able to decrypt iCloud backups is not them not being
encrypted at all.