Old August 18th 17, 11:30 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default Warning do not use Lee solar filters

On 8/18/2017 4:27 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Aug 18, 2017, newshound wrote
(in articleKNOdnZmEOcve2QrEnZ2dnUU78SfNnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk):

On 8/18/2017 6:18 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Aug 18, 2017, newshound wrote
(in articlemOqdnWB0B5ASgQrEnZ2dnUU78UHNnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk):

On 8/18/2017 2:32 AM, PeterN wrote:
Amazon is giving refunds to all purchasers of Lee Solar filters. Under
this recall you do not have to return the filters. While there is some
confusion about this, I think it best not to use the Lee filter, unless
you want to risk damaging your eyes, and/or your sensor.

https://petapixel.com/2017/08/14/ama...-eclipse-filte
r-
buyers-warning-use/
I recall going to school in 1959 with a piece of fogged 120 negative.

So how is that macular degeneration working out for you?

No sign yet. Dare I say it, I think people were more sensible in those
days. There were warnings on the radio and TV, and people would heed
them. I didn't have a telescope or a camera, but I knew how to project,
if I had had a telescope. The eye has a pretty good "avert" reflex. If
you close your eyes and then open them carefully behind a sufficiently
dense negative, there isn't really any risk. And of course, no-one would
think of sueing over bad advice.

In my school days (50’s & 60’s) we used the pinhole projection method.
We had a class explaining both solar and lunar eclipses. We were warned about
potential vision damage, and we still experienced all the eclipses total, and
partial we were exposed to back then, without looking at the Sun.

I have a DIY pinhole lens?. Just drilled a small hole in a body cap.

--
PeterN