Old August 18th 17, 08:47 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
newshound

Default Warning do not use Lee solar filters

On 8/18/2017 6:18 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Aug 18, 2017, newshound wrote
(in articlemOqdnWB0B5ASgQrEnZ2dnUU78UHNnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk):

On 8/18/2017 2:32 AM, PeterN wrote:
Amazon is giving refunds to all purchasers of Lee Solar filters. Under
this recall you do not have to return the filters. While there is some
confusion about this, I think it best not to use the Lee filter, unless
you want to risk damaging your eyes, and/or your sensor.

https://petapixel.com/2017/08/14/ama...clipse-filter-
buyers-warning-use/

I recall going to school in 1959 with a piece of fogged 120 negative.

So how is that macular degeneration working out for you?

No sign yet. Dare I say it, I think people were more sensible in those
days. There were warnings on the radio and TV, and people would heed
them. I didn't have a telescope or a camera, but I knew how to project,
if I had had a telescope. The eye has a pretty good "avert" reflex. If
you close your eyes and then open them carefully behind a sufficiently
dense negative, there isn't really any risk. And of course, no-one would
think of sueing over bad advice.