Old August 18th 17, 07:01 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Default Warning do not use Lee solar filters

Savageduck:
At this point I would defer any advice on this matter to our resident
stargazer, Davoud.

Davoud:
OMG, the pressure is on! I have bought many pairs of safe solar glasses
from https://www.rainbowsymphony.com. It might be a bit late to get
them, however. I haven't shopped locally, but it must be possible to
buy them from Target or CVS or the like. Try to look for made in USA. I
bought 200 pair about six months ago; donated 100 pair to the local
community college for their public event, distributed another 50 pair
to various people, and I'm taking 50 pair with me to our observing site
in Tennessee for those who might arrive unprepared.

Savageduck:
What I am waiting for are the reports on phone cameras damaged when taking
solar selfies.

Tony Cooper:
There will surely be some claims that iPhones are less subject to
damage photographing eclipse than Android phones.

Either would be suitable. I have successfully photographed the Sun with
my iPhone without a filter on a number of occasions, most recently
about 10 minutes ago for this post
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/36257163480.

Based on that I would think that a smartphone would be well suited to
photographing from a few seconds before totality to a few seconds
afterward.

I do *NOT* recommend this, but it is possible and safe to photograph
the Sun with an unfiltered camera. With a DSLR I position the camera on
a tripod with a piece of aluminum foil over the lens, remove the foil,
snap the shutter, and replace the foil. I've been doing this with film
and digital SLRs since the late 60's; I haven't *yet* burned a hole in
the back of a camera. Requires low ISO, smallish aperture,
pre-focusing, and fast shutter speed. I seem to recall this was called
the "hat trick."

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm